Saturday, January 06, 2007

"Vamos a 'minar." Yes, a caminar...

All of Avelina's fingers wrap tightly around only two of my fingers when we walk. My thumb touches the puffy top of her hand which I stroke so that she feels safe. There is an angel that follows behind. Rememberance. Ave is not concerned that we've just walked through mud or that the road ahead is riddled with rocks and might fold itself into the mountain. She is alive with the present pace,
steps and laughs with
the abandon of her childhood,
looks only at her moving feet
running down the slope
and crashes into my arms

This moment fades only for me.
I follow the trail of my own
worry of letting her go
and I get lost...
tomorrow she will no longer
hold my hand,
and the road would have shrunk,
the laughter would have turned
from right now into yesterday...

I forget that it is quite possible
that she will still carry that
angel on her shoulder
who will remind her of my
caressing thumb holding her safe
while she walks alone into the forest

3 comments:

YStudio Photography said...

Quite inspiring Aida, gracias por siempre recordarnos de la belleza y lo significante q es la VIDA!

"Viva La Vida!!" -- Frida Kahlo

Q bello empezar nuestro Domingo de esta manera.....

Moyocoyotzin said...

Dear Beautiful Aida,
Your reflections on your experience of motherhood are exquisite! Your girl is blessed having you as her lunar parental unit.
With great affection,
Moycoyotzin

Anonymous said...

Aida, this is- as the rest.. beautiful..amazing what the word can deliver... lessons to be learned from both you and the lil one. Gracias for sharing!